Keyword Search

Township Hours:
Monday 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM
Tuesday through  Friday
8:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Saturday, 8:30 AM to noon


Palatine Township Center
721 S. Quentin Road
Palatine, IL 60067
847-358-6700

Quick Links:

Receive email notifications from the Township

 Township Highway Dept

 Supervisor's Message

 State and Federal Veterans’ Benefits Assistance

 


Food Pantry Needs:  

Baking Goods

Beverages: coffee, tea, water, juice

Breakfast Cereal

Crackers

Canned Potatoes

Canned Tuna or Chicken

Snacks

 

Cleaning Products

Diapers - all sizes

Personal Products (shampoo, toothpaste, feminine products)

 


  

 

STIRRING CEREMONY PAID HONOR TO

THE GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (GAR)

 

Burial Plot Dedication Ceremony

for Soldiers of the Civil War

was held at Hillside Cemetery

Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM


  For additional information...


 How do we care for our Historic Pioneer Cemeteries?

Currently Palatine Township maintains five historic cemeteries (listed below). Many of Palatine Township's area founders are buried in these cemeteries. Because many of the headstones in these pioneer cemeteries are in such fragile condition, special care must be used when repairing them. These headstones are valuable links to our community's past. Aging headstones need to be repaired by experts. One such expert group is Stonehugger Cemetery Restoration, Inc. of Nashville, Indiana. Their website is stonehugger.com.  Helen Wildermuth, cemetery restoration specialist from Stonehugger Cemetery Restoration, has helped restore many headstones at Cady and Hillside cemeteries. This on-going effort to restore our historic pioneer cemeteries is lead by the Township Cemetery Committee.

See how our local Eagle Scoutes have improved our cemeteries.

Cady Cemetery   map of gravesites

Inverness, IL

Cady Cemetery was established around 1841 on the Cady family farm. It was deeded to Palatine Township in 1856. It is located west of Ela Road, about ¼ mile south of Dundee Road behind what was once the Cady farm orchard.

At a stirring ceremony, complete with Civil War re-enactors and cannon firings, Cady Cemetery was rededicated.  Read more...

Hillside Cemetery    map of gravesites

254 North Brockway Street
Palatine, IL  60067

Much of the history of Palatine is recorded in Hillside Cemetery. The cemetery consists of three parts: the original Hillside portion, the Filbert addition and the Greendale addition. Joel Wood donated the land for the original section in 1861. Frank G. Robinson donated the land for the Filbert Section in 1881 and Albert Olms donated the land for the Greendale Section in 1908. Palatine Township assumed responsibility for the cemetery on April 9, 1996. There are 40 Civil War veterans buried in this cemetery, which is located on the east side of Smith Street, about one block north of Colfax Street.

Wolfrum Cemetery   map of gravesites

5281 Old Plum Grove Road
Rolling Meadows, IL  60008

Wolfrum Cemetery is the oldest known cemetery in Palatine Township. It originated on Orrin Ford’s farm. Orrin Ford deeded the cemetery to Cook County in 1856. It was nicknamed the “Lost Cemetery” because for many years it was forgotten. In 1994, Palatine Township took over the ownership of the cemetery from Cook County. The cemetery is located west of Sunset Drive and Old Plum Grove Road.

Salem Cemetery    map of gravesites

2200 South Plum Grove Road
Rolling Meadows, IL  60008

Salem Cemetery was established as a family cemetery in the 1850’s by Frederick and Dorothea Thies. It was deeded to the Salem Evangelical Church in 1922. Palatine Township was given custody of the cemetery in 1974. The cemetery, located at Plum Grove and Kirchoff Roads, consists mainly of members of the Thies, Normeier and Weseman families. 

Sutherland Cemetery   map of gravesites

1900 N. Old Hicks Road
Palatine, IL  60074

Sutherland Cemetery was a pioneer cemetery established on the farm of Silas and Lucinda Sutherland. Silas Sutherland, son of Silas Sutherland and Dolly Mason, came to Palatine Township in 1837 and settled in Deer Grove. He was just one of many members of the large Sutherland family to settle here. Silas died during the Civil War in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain in 1864, and he is buried in Marietta National Cemetery in Georgia. The Sutherlands deeded the land to Cook County on June 10, 1863. It served as a burial ground for early Palatine Township settlers at the east end of Deer Grove in the Staples Corners area (Rand and Dundee Roads). The earliest known burial was in 1841, the latest in 1957. The Sayles family once lived across from the cemetery and therefore it has erroneously been called Sayles Cemetery on occasion. It also has been referred to as the Staples Cemetery, because of its proximity to the Rand, Dundee area, which was known as Staples Corners.


Cemetery Rules and Regulations